Faceți căutări pe acest blog

duminică, 24 octombrie 2010

The words of the day

NET to earn a particular amount of money after taxes or other costs have been removed


e.g. The company netted over £5 million last year. 

e.g. If you see that you can't afford to stay in Madrid, when you get your first check, you must subtract  the cost of utilities and food from what you net and voila, you'll have the answer.
A CLOSE SHAVEa situation in which you only just avoid doing something dangerous or unpleasant
e.g. Phew, that was a close shave! He almost saw me



MOONLIGHTto have a second job in addition to your main job that you do not tell the tax authorities about

e.g. My part-time job as a shop assistant didn't pay much so I had to moonlight to pay for my studies. 


TO WORK/PAY UNDER THE TABLE = A MUNCI/PLATI LA NEGRU


e.g. = I've got another job offer but they pay under the table and I am afraid not to be caught moonlighting





TEARAWAY = a young person who does dangerous, silly, or illegal things that often get them into trouble

e.g. two tearaway brothers are suspected to have attacked and tortured a young man



Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu